Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Reading Now! The Book of the New Sun by Gene Wolfe

Someone recommended The Book of the New Sun to me back in 2008 or so, I bought it online (handy that I could look up the order information).  I got maybe 50 pages into it at the time, but I was put off by the fact that I was sold on this being science fiction but it felt strongly of fantasy.  The main character is in a torturer's guild, yet another thing that didn't sit well with me.

After the brute of Night's Dawn Trilogy (spoilers) I was willing to try something that wasn't wholly science fiction.  I am into the first part of the second book, it's four novels with two per book.  I understand the scifi connection a bit more as I go, but it's still kind of reaching.  I am quite interested to see where this all goes.  The writing style is more intense than I'm used to, it's a denser read.  I do think I'm probably missing some of the more intellectual aspects, but maybe once I read reviews and explanations after the series is over I'll get it.  After Hamilton's cast of hundreds, it sure is nice to follow a protagonist page in and out.  I will report back once I'm finished!

No comments:

Post a Comment