Saturday, June 9, 2012

Reading Now! Dhalgren by Samuel R. Delany

I finished The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick on Tuesday of this week, the 5th I suppose?  It took two days to read and I can't say I enjoyed it.  Liked the writing, but the content was not my cup of tea.

Onwards and upwards my friends, to book #3 in Project 10 Book!  Though I think I went a little sideways with this pick of Delany's Dhalgren.  I remember it being odd, but I forgot that it was Gravity's Rainbow kind of odd.  I haven't read reviews per se, but I do know that a lot of people adore it and a lot of people absolutely hate it.  I think it's going to be some work to get through.

When I started it years back, I made it to page 60.  I am a good 20+ pages past that now, can help I'm a captive audience on the train.  It's either this or stare out the window, so starting a slow book can be helped along by that choice.  I'm really hoping it starts to engage me, so far I'm not feeling much.  Part of me sort of worries it's going to dither around not making a whole lot of sense and never make it forward to any coherent point.

I will report back if I fail to get through it, or need to take a break. :)

Quick edit to update, as of Friday June 15th I'm up to page 325 or so.  I recall reading a mention by a critic who gave up at page 361 the first time and threw it at the wall at some point, so I'm waiting to see if I make it that far without taking out a fellow passenger on the train.  I kid, I kid.  Kid... get it.  Well anyway.  I still don't know where this is going, the book or my post.  So I'll just leave it here and wait until I finish.  Maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment