Saturday, June 30, 2012

Reading Now! Spook Country by William Gibson

I have picked an odd assortment to start out my Project 10 Book challenge, between The Man in the High Castle and dhalgren, I'm not feeling so great about my choices.  I wanted to read something that was near enough to a sure thing that I'd like, or that wouldn't stomp on my brain/heart.  I have read all of Gibson's books previous to The Difference Engine.  I am not a lover of alternate history and when I saw that, I sort of wrote off wanting to read Gibson again.  Quite silly, I know.  But I have been pretty serious in my strong preference to scifi of the flavors space opera, cyberpunk, hard scifi and the like.  Please no steampunk, alternate history, magical realism; harrumph.

Anyway, I am babbling.  I always found Gibson's books rather cold, his characters weren't ones that you were falling in love with, but the style was so speaking to me at the time I read them.  I've been doing the internet thing since 1994, all that old-school elite garbage, so I totally dug the cyberpunk of Gibson.  Spook Country is feeling dated now, I'm not very far in (though it seems pretty short) but it has some specifics on technology as it was written as a contemporary thriller and being someone in the computer industry it can be a little cringe-inducing.  Now, I obviously did not realize this, but my brief squinty skimming of the wikipedia article on Spook Country would indicate it follows Pattern Recognition (didn't want to spoil myself, hence the squinting).  Have I gotten lured into an alternate history without realizing?!  Oh dear.  And I hate reading a series out of order.

Sigh.  Oh well!  Hopefully it's not important.

Also small random observation, there's a thread involving a Cuban family and another character mentions reggaeton, unrelated to the Cuban thread.  Was Mr. Gibson spending some time in Latin America or Miami?  Odd.  And while detailed in description of the cafe con leche making, I wanted to know about the part making the espumita with the sugar and espresso because seriously that's the best stuff.  For what it's worth, I lived in Miami for 10 years and cafe con leche (and pastelito de guayaba) may be what I miss most about the city (among very few things).  So anyway, this novel is intersecting a couple areas I have a fair amount of knowledge (Cuban culture and IT stuff) so hopefully I won't get too wound up in the details of that stuff to miss the stylings that I expect from our author.

No comments:

Post a Comment