Friday, July 6, 2012

Review: Spook Country by William Gibson (spoilers)

As I rambled on in my Reading Now! post, I was enamored with Gibson's stylizing when it came to cyberpunk.  Once he veered away from that track, I lost interest.  Narrow-minded, well yes a bit.  But I like what I like!  I was hoping that even with this contemporary thriller with a little bit of science-y aspects, I'd get the bits that I always liked before.  Keep reading for likely spoilers below.

Spoilers, ahoy!

Unfortunately, I felt cold and empty once I finished this novel.  I looked around, took a deep breath and thought what can I read next.  Not an ideal reaction I figure.

I wasn't expecting much on the character side, but I forgot what that means with Gibson.  At the end of the day, I do want some relationships established.  I want to feel some sort of connection.  I am pretty sure I'll have near forgotten this book in three months.  I found the Cuban-Chinese family, their connections, Tito - all quite intriguing (once I got over the little nitpicky cafe con leche incident :) ).  I wanted to know more about what happened with them, what they were up to, what all this hinted history was about.

Regarding the plot, so many times I think maybe if I'd just read the book the time it was written it would be different.  By the time I get around to reading things, it can be 40+ years behind, and what was revolutionary at the time seems common sense now.  The locative art business, it didn't sell for me and again I shrugged it off.  I wasn't getting the strong atmosphere of paranoia from political climate that I've read others talk about - maybe I wasn't paying attention to absorb that vibe while distracted by searching for a character connection.  Brown was a whackadoodle and there was shady crap happening with Iraq funds.  Sounds like life.  I get the container being involved, the parties pulling off the prank, screwing with the man.  But... sigh and shrug.

Not to be so negative, I like the way Gibson writes and enjoyed the ride through, but I left it all feeling dissatisfied.


Also, I kept expecting the ant figurine to mean something.  And joining the unsecured network at Bobby's place to have repercussions.  Nope.


Let me know what you thought in the comments!



No comments:

Post a Comment