Saturday, August 11, 2012

Updates on What I've Been Reading (and not blogging) - possible spoilers!


So I've been a bit lazy about updating on what I'm reading or reviews. I was feeling a bit lackluster on what I'd read and couldn't get the interest in posting about it. Spoilers may be ahead about Iron Sunrise by Charles Stross, Axis and Vortex by Robert Charles Wilson and Moneyball by Michael Lewis.
Possible spoilers ahead, be warned.

I figured I would give Iron Sunrise by Charles Stross a go.  I recall having some thoughts about this book, vaguely considered writing them down.. but didn't. And now since it's been more than a week, I've forgotten whatever it was I thought about the novel. This is mostly my memory's fault, but oh wait! Now I remember.  Yes, one of my major complaints was about a main character. Wednesday was such a strange character, so whiny and typical teenager (rather immature even for a teen at times) then the next moment because of her training that she wasn't even aware of she's some sort of super ninja warrior. Blah. That rubbed me the wrong way!

After that, I went for what I thought would be a more guaranteed pleasant read, Axis and Vortex by Robert Charles Wilson. All I can say is that I could have been okay with reading Spin alone. I felt the series continued in a way I wasn't too excited about (skipping ahead in time) and the way it ended was a little.. ridiculous and flat. It veered off into the ozone 2001-style, and felt tacked on. I know that this isn't the case, but having started a new time/alternate universe thread I also wondered about how the second book had been virtually invalidated or nulled out. Spin was good and I enjoyed it, let's leave it at that.

I was seriously getting bummed with my queue! Is there anything in there that will make me happy? I can still enjoy TV and movies, so I'm not sure why I can't seem to like a book!  Surely it's not me.. let's blame it on the novels. Neither answer sounds very good.

To help break the funk, the boyfriend suggested Moneyball by Michael Lewis. Sure, why not! I've gotten a lot more into baseball lately, we watch every game on when home (Minnesota Twins, been a bit painful this year and last). It was interesting, engaging and informative. It did drag on a touch in places, started to feel more like a business/financial book but snapped out of it quickly. I think the most interesting thing was after finishing the book proper, reading the afterword. The violently negative reactions from people who hadn't even read the book was a little mind-boggling to say the least.

I'm midway or so through Foundation by Isaac Asimov, not even remotely mentioned on my queue but I didn't purchase it so I figure it's fair game, right? :) Here's to hoping it ends well. If so, maybe I will continue in the series.

That's what I've been up to, reading away more or less happily. What have you been reading?

No comments:

Post a Comment