Saturday, December 8, 2012

Brief Reviews: The Girl Who Played With Fire, The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest, Love in the Time of Cholera (spoilers)

I've been reading and not sharing lately, it's true. I've been spending more time on my beauty-related blog/youtube here and trying to get our new cat to stop harassing our old cat. Excuses, excuses.

So, what have I been reading? New stuff after the long project 10 book. Some easy fun stuff with the last two in the Millenium triology by Stieg Larsson. Burned through The Girl Who Played with Fire and The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest. Someone also recommende dot me a long time ago, Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez, was hoping it would be a relief from the lackluster feeling I got after finishing the Millenium series. I'll give my spoiled opinions after the break.
Spoilers to follow, consider yourself warned.

I don't want to get too much into those books, but did want to share my overall impressions. The Millenium Trilogy by Stieg Larsson consists of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, The Girl Who Played with Fire and The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest. Now, I avoid reading *anything* about a book ahead of time. I feel like I can be spoiled by a click blurb, a review without spoilers, even the back summary! It tends to give me preconceived notions of what all is going to happen so I avoid anything ahead of time. I'll read a back cover summary when buying something, but I usually don't read it right away so I've mostly forgotten it.

So, imagine my surprise to find out that the trilogy wasn't in fact planned to be written as three books, but was cut short due to Mr. Larsson passing away. I knew that he had passed, but did not realize the circumstances. The sappy romantic that I am, I wanted a more fulfilling character love story happening. That stupid Mikael had this strange fling with the woman in The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest and finally we get a small glimpse of a tepid reconciliation with Lisbeth was not how I wanted it all to end. I loved Lisbeth and Mikael despite his shallow ways with women. You want (okay, I did at least) to turn things around and have a real relationship! Bah. So, I can't say much about the actual story other than it was a little convoluted and stretched my suspension of disbelief at times.

Regarding Love in the Time of Cholera, I didn't have any idea what to expect going in. Like I said earlier, a friend recommended this and 100 Years of Solitude (which I bought but have not read yet) many moons ago. I'd been avoiding reading it, but thought hey Love is in the title maybe this will be a more satisfying character experience. I don't look for a depressing story and I like a love story and character development which can all be rather lacking in science fiction, so I'm trying to spend more time with general literature/fiction to help satisfy those needs. Well, so much for a satisfying love story. This was a very odd story. Most of the time I felt rather irritated with both main characters for being ridiculous. Florentino Ariza was just plain pathetic feeling, to be pining after Fermina his entire life, meanwhile maintaining all of these affairs. I just didn't really understand what Mr. Marquez was trying to tell us. It wasn't an enduring love story, it was just leaving me a sense of pity and disgust for Florentino. And maybe that was the point, I'm not sure. The affair with the very young girl at the end was especially hard to swallow and was the final nail in the coffin of disliking our main character.

Thanks for stopping by and let me know what you thought of any of these books.

No comments:

Post a Comment